How to Adopt?
- First step is to fill out a Pre-Adoption Application below!
- Once submitted, please allow us time to review and we will contact you as soon as possible with any questions regarding your application and status.
- Please contact us as soon as you have submitted the adoption application. Sometimes if it is not completed correctly, it does not come thru. Do not leave any spaces open.
- We will contact to set up an appointment for a meet and greet with interested available animal. Please bring all members of the family especially children! Virtual options are available!
- We will schedule and complete an in person or virtual home visit.
- Finalizing the Adoption: This includes paying the adoption fee (+ tax) and sending home medical documents with adopted animal.
We ask that you allow at least a month for your new pet to adjust and decompress to their new home. During this time we will provide one on one counseling to make sure the proper steps are taken to allow for a successful transition. If for whatever reason you need to return your newly adopted pet we will allow a 7 day grace period for full refund on the adoption fee once the animal is returned to our care. After the 7 day grace period adoption fees are non-refundable.
We take finding the best homes for our kitties very seriously as they deserve nothing but the best! Please allow a week for applications to be processed as we are all volunteers working as fast as we can.
If you have any questions on a specific animal don’t hesitate to send us an email @ email@example.com. We can also help with finding a match for something specific you had in mind! Don’t forget to check out our Facebook page for more videos and photos of our pets @ Helping Paws of Southern Minnesota!
Meet and greets are available with approved applicants only. If you have any questions please feel free to send us and email!
General Adoption Requirements
- If you have a current pet, they MUST be up to date on vaccinations AND spayed/neutered (unless there is a medical reason as to why they are not current on vaccinations or altered).
- If you currently own a pet or have owned a pet in the last 10 years, your vet's name and contact is required.
- Maintaining vet records is part of responsible pet ownership. Full vaccine history, and spay/neuter status for all pets owned in the last 10 years is a requirement to adopt.
- You must be 18 years or older to apply to adopt.
- Applications must be filled out completely. If the application is not completely filled out, we will not be able to process it.
- Animals will not be adopted to any college students living in a dorm.
- Animals may not be adopted out as "gifts" for someone unless, all family members are aware of the adoption, and meet the animal before the adoption takes place. The application should be filled out by that said family.
- If renting, approval from the landlord is required to keep the pet on the premises.
- All applicants must be willing to receive a home inspection and meet and greet prior to adoption. (all family members and their pets must be present).
- If you adopt and cannot keep the pet for any reason, you MUST return the animal to Helping Paws of Southern Minnesota.